This page has moved here:
Mexican chilli casserole
Ingredients for 4:
- 2 tablespoons Fine Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Italy
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 100 g. (4 oz) cut green beans
- 1 teaspoon red or green crushed chilli pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon balsamic or wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 250 g of dried soya chunks (medium bits)
- 350 g (12 oz) brown or wild rice
This makes a delicious main course.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a moderate heat. Fry the garlic in the oil for 20 seconds stirring constantly, until it starts turning a light brown.
- Add the basil and mixed herbs, then the onion. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring to avoid sticking, until the onion is transparent.
- Add the pepper, green beans, chilli, vinegar, sugar, and soya chunks. Cook for a few minutes, stirring costantly.
- Add the tomato cans, still stirring. Simmer over a gentle heat for 20 minutes. If the mixture becomes too dry, add more water. A few minutes before it's cooked, add salt.
- Serve with boiled rice.